Hon. Mark T. Cumba
San Diego Superior Court
Hon. Mark T. Cumba
Judge Cumba began his legal career as a criminal prosecutor in Chicago before joining private law firms where he handled high exposure civil litigation. In 2012, he returned to public service joining the California Department of Justice where he was assigned to the Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse. In 2014, Judge Cumba received the Attorney General Award for Prosecution from then-Attorney General Kamala Harris. After eight years in the criminal division, Judge Cumba was promoted to Supervising Deputy Attorney General in the civil division before his appointment to the bench.
Judge Cumba is a graduate of Chicago-Kent College of Law where he competed on the nationally ranked trial advocacy team. He later served as an assistant instructor for Litigation Technology and coached the trial team. In 2008, Judge Cumba received the Chicago-Kent College of Law Young Alumni Award. In San Diego, Judge Cumba served as an adjunct faculty member at Thomas Jefferson School of Law where he taught Trial Practice and Oral Motions in Criminal Law, as well as coached the trial team. In 2015, he was a recipient of the TJSL Adjunct Professor of the Year Award. Throughout his career, Judge Cumba has been a frequent instructor and speaker on topics including civil discovery, criminal investigative techniques, and the art of trial advocacy.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law
Judge Cumba was appointed to the San Diego Superior Court in November 2021. He is currently assigned to the East County Courthouse where he presides over Juvenile Dependency matters. Previously, he presided over Civil Harassment Restraining Orders, misdemeanor motions, family law contempt trials, and military diversion matters.
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Most Creative Presentation (February Team)
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Best Substantive Content Award (February Team)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Professional Achievement Award
- SDCBA, Service to the Legal Community Award
- American Inns of Court National Program Awards, 2nd Place
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Best Program Award (May Team)
- Center for Excellence in Advocacy, Edward D. Ohlbaum Professionalism Award